Forum4 > New age myths

Victor Sanchez - Toltecs Of The New Millennium

(1/6) > >>

Mr X:
part one.

there is nine chapters. one after chapter. three before chapters.

acknowledgments, introductions and translators note are the first topics of discussion.

when mr j4 does see this thread and acknowledges it, and gives his view on the first three sections, we can move onto -

part 1 - the toltec tradition.
chapter one - the historic toltecs.

mr x.

ju4o:
Hi.  It seems we both have the same edition which is convenient as we can simply refer to page numbers.  On page xi in the introduction it says

--- Quote ---The principal thesis of this book is that the Toltec Tradition is not a dead tradition to which we can refer only through stories and legends.  It is a living tradition with living practitioners among the indigenous peoples of Mexico.
--- End quote ---

Of the books I'm aware of, this one and Martin Prechtel's 'Secrets of the Talking Jaguar' are what I would suggest for someone wanting to find out the answer to that question.

Except, there are some problems.  With this book, one problem is that the author is quite annoying, at least in some ways.  If someone finds the author so annoying that (a) they can barely make it through the book, and (b) even if they do they are quite mistrustful of the information in it, then it would be better to find another book.

So perhaps that is the first thing we could discuss.  Here are some ways in which Sanchez is quite annoying.

1) Acknowledgements,

--- Quote ---To my father, the Sun.
To my mother, the Earth.
To my brother, the Deer.
To my grandfather, the Fire.
To the Spirit.
--- End quote ---

His brother is a magical being.

2) Introduction, page xi,

--- Quote ---I infiltrated into their separate reality and connected myself with their tradition through agents beyond my comprehension
--- End quote ---

He made contact with them through magical means.

3) page 104,

--- Quote ---Beyond external manifestations, the internal voice of Silent Knowledge hidden very deep within our being, which we can hear if we learn to employ the kind of attention necessary, told me what to do.
--- End quote ---

He converses with magical entities.

Some people are able to let that kind of thing not bother them.  When he says "voice of Silent Knowledge" I just sort of mentally translate it into "intuition" and leave it at that.  Other people can be quite put off by this kind of thing.  What do you think about it?  If we are going to discuss a book it should at least be not too annoying.

Mr X:
hello mr j,

yes we have the same edition, confirmed.

yes sanchez is annoying, i was going to quote the 'to my father' thing as my first example of that fact.

there was an book last year that you recommended, that i said i would read this year. i have been thinking about that book, as it now next year - to save me looking it up in old posts, was it the pretchel book ?
i will look about, i would prefer an ebook version so i can read it on my phone.

i cant think of any toltec based author we could examine that i would not find annoying, including casta. i can accept the silent knowledge livery and pass it off as cultural code for intuition. doesnt make sanchez not annoying, but what is one to do.

the possibility of pretchel being not annoying is slim.

this is not my response to the first 3 parts, just my reply to you. but i think so far we are on the same page.

mr x.

ju4o:

I'm not surprised to hear that you find Sanchez annoying.  But what is surprising me is why ever did you start this thread in the first place, given that you already found Sanchez annoying when we discussed him more than a year ago.

The only explanation I can think of is that when you started this thread you had forgotten how annoying you found Sanchez last year.  Maybe, having not thought about him for a whole year, all that remained in your mind was a sense of deep spiritual nourishment, and that is what brought you back to the subject and made you start this thread.  Then, when you had started the thread, and remembered how annoying Sanchez is, you panicked and are now wondering how to salvage the situation.

Well, as I also mentioned last year, I think you might enjoy reading Prechtel's first book.

--- Quote ---We are all scoundrels, but Prechtel is a completely different kind of scoundrel from what Sanchez is, and I think of a kind that you would find a whole lot more agreeable.

By the way, Prechtel has written a few books.  If you do read one, I would suggest this first one.  The others are more folklory and somewhat tedious (imo).  The one I mentioned is rip-roaring and hilarious.
--- End quote ---

Mr X:
hello j,

your read of the situation is pretty good. although keep in mind when your only have one explanation, its possible you are missing something.

if i recall, i started this thread late on an saturday night. i was very drunk, enough that on sunday, hours after being awake, i remembered posting this thread and considered deleting it.

i was bored of the recent activity upstairs, this topic was something i remembered. i have kept the book around my desk all year so it was not the first time i thought of it.

the measure of annoying is perhaps not the best value we can use. for instance, i find existing pretty annoying. that doesnt mean we shouldnt talk about existence.

i sorta assumed we had decided to cover this topic one day, and i wanted to keep my word. do you think we should abandon this book and plunge into pretchel instead, or should we do both with a stiff upper lip. at about one week per chapter it would only take two months.

there is also not much else going on here at the moment.

mr x.

ps. i forgot to say - mr j please explain the deep spiritual nourishment part, it is an interesting choice of words but i dont quite get what it means in context.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version