Author Topic: email4  (Read 57952 times)

âspen

email4
« on: 17 February 2013 01:18:09 PM »
Hello.  Alongside the forum we now have a GNU mailman-based unarchived email discussion list called email4 at

http://about.forum4.org/listinfo.cgi/email4-forum4.org (http://about.forum4.org/listinfo.cgi/email4-forum4.org)

It should be easy to use, and let us hope it works!  Please advise of any feature requests or problems.

âspen

Re: email4
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2014 01:38:33 PM »
As we are having our first ever publicity drive perhaps I should try and explain why this email list isn't actually working at the moment.

Forum4 used to be hosted at Dreamhost, one of the old-time enfants terribles of the web hosting industry who used to be good but which have recently brought in professional management with disastrous results.

I started feeling it was time to look for a new enfant terrible of the web hosting industry to move to.

Basically I googled for "find me a host that is as good as Dreamhost used to be 10 years ago".

What google came up with was Webfaction.  It said that if you plug "Webfaction sucks" into google you would get very few results.

So I tried doing that, and got 271 results.  As opposed to 81,400 results for "Dreamhost sucks".

The entire first page of the results for "Webfaction sucks" consisted of articles explaining that if you plug "Webfaction sucks" into google you get very few results.

There was even an article which explained how on the Webfaction web site they invite you to plug "Webfaction sucks" into google, and see how many or few results you get.

Not only that, but the first page of the results contained articles which actually complained that if you plug "Webfaction sucks" into google you get very few results.

Like this for example,

I WANT THAT FIVE MINUTES OF MY LIFE BACK.  I plugged "Webfaction sucks" into google and all I got were a lot of articles explaining that if you plug "Webfaction sucks" into google you get very few results.

Dear Reader, I think I'd better stop.  Anyway, Forum4 is now hosted at Webfaction.  But I never got around to making this email list work at the new host.  I thought no one would miss it, and I didn't know there was going to be a publicity drive.  Sorry.  Hopefully no one will miss it.  If they do, I will get it working again.

ginkgo

« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2016 10:51:45 PM »
This is a test

(I think something may have gone wrong with the forum notification mailer, I will explain if/when I find out what might have gone wrong)

ginkgo

Test2
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2016 12:22:46 PM »
second test

âspen

« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2016 09:03:35 PM »
Well it seems that the forum emailer has stopped working.  According to the error logs, it stopped working shortly before March 27th.

Does this matter?

It is used for sending new message notifactions (to people who have requested notifications, which is by no means everyone) and it is involved in the new member registration process.  Plus a few other uses, but those are probably the main ones.

I imagine that we could exist without new message notifications, but a forum which new members cannot register at would seem to negate the whole reason for having a forum, so I suggest we should try to fix it or at least think about it.

ginkgo

Test3
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2016 08:25:33 AM »
3rd test

Mr X

• unpinged
« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2016 11:53:33 AM »
last notification i got from email was march 28, from a post marked as march 27 on forum time (sanchez thread). nothing since then.

âspen

« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2016 03:39:19 PM »
Thanks for checking that up.

Hopefully the problem is now fixed.  Let us see if this post which I am now making generates the correct notifications.

The problem was caused by gmail moving its technology up a notch, in the direction of all email being encrypted, beyond what smf could cope with.

The forum has now changed from gmail to zoho as its email provider.  Zoho appears to be a most worthwhile company:

Mr X

• unpinged
« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2016 06:31:43 PM »
notifications are now active again.

âspen

« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2016 08:22:36 PM »

Well I do like zoho, especially for its unique recruitment practices outlined above, but somehow I'm not finding it 100% convincing.

It seems OK.  But if a solution to the problem with gmail turns up, then I can imagine we might decide to revert.

tally-ho!

• translator
« Reply #10 on: 17 April 2016 07:36:07 PM »
 gmail... a big fat fish
אָהוֹי כַּנְטַלָהּ
בַּרִ^י(כְּ) מָנְטָלַה
טַרֻי וָצַ'קָ[ת]
רַתּוּי מֻ(מ)רַטָּ[ת]
כָּהָר מַרֲטָה
טָרִיק בָּרְבַּרֻ רָטַּטֻהִי
אֲשַּׁתֻּהִי
הוֹי!

~נהפכ נהפכ ונהפכ~

âspen

« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2016 07:07:43 AM »

Instead of making sarky comments how about you take over the hosting of the forum.

tally-ho!

• translator
« Reply #12 on: 18 April 2016 02:03:23 PM »
what, meee? hosting a forum? are you kidding, or do you wish to throw me to the sharks? with my poor understanding in these things... i hope your'e only joking, aspenito.

edit:
wait -
you said "your allocation" "is finished".
but you are the owner of this board?
of Forum4.org?

this is what tosk once said, at least
providing you ARE ga7at, ra6as etc?
or?...
are you not?

is there a secret boss above your head?

who?
what? why?

preciousss?
the syndicate?

some archengel or other?
« Last Edit: 10 May 2016 10:47:25 AM by tally-ho! »
אָהוֹי כַּנְטַלָהּ
בַּרִ^י(כְּ) מָנְטָלַה
טַרֻי וָצַ'קָ[ת]
רַתּוּי מֻ(מ)רַטָּ[ת]
כָּהָר מַרֲטָה
אֲשַּׁתֻּהִי
הוֹי!

~נהפכ נהפכ ונהפכ~

tally-ho!

• translator
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2016 08:22:59 PM »
wait wait again
look!
i found that:
http://deepdreamgenerator.com/

Google has spent the last few years teaching computers how to see, understand, and appreciate our world. It's an important goal that the search giant hopes will allow programs to classify images just by "looking" at them.

And this is where Google's deep dream ideas originate. With simple words you give to an AI program a couple of images and let it know what those images contain ( what objects - dogs, cats, mountains, bicycles, ... ) and give it a random image and ask it what objects it can find in this image. Then the program start transforming the image till it can find something similar to what it already knows and thus you see strange artifacts morphing in the dreamed image ( like eyes or human faces morphing in image of a pyramid ).

a real extremely fat fish, google
i didnt know what i was saying

so - you want me to host it, ah?

hmmm...

easier than just blowing the whole damn thing?
you reckon?
אָהוֹי כַּנְטַלָהּ
בַּרִ^י(כְּ) מָנְטָלַה
טַרֻי וָצַ'קָ[ת]
רַתּוּי מֻ(מ)רַטָּ[ת]
כָּהָר מַרֲטָה
אֲשַּׁתֻּהִי
הוֹי!

~נהפכ נהפכ ונהפכ~

âspen

« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2016 08:47:26 PM »
what, meee? hosting a forum? are you kidding, or do you wish to throw me to the sharks?

Friendly shark