Author Topic: Probable bug in SMF wysiwyg editor  (Read 26786 times)

âspen

Probable bug in SMF wysiwyg editor
« on: 02 January 2016 11:06:24 PM »

Still puzzling over what the problem could be, I decided to experiment.

It turns out that reproducing the problem is very easy, and it strongly suggests there is something wrong with the SMF wysiwyg editor.

Here is a sequence of actions which reproduces the bug.  I'm using Firefox, just to establish that the bug does not only occur with Chrome.  I'm doing this in the sand pit play area version of the forum where the wysiwyg editor is still enabled.

1. Bring up an MS Word document which has some mark-up.  This was the hardest part for me, since I don't have MS Word, but I found a document which appears to have been produced by MS Word:

2. Select some of the text which includes the mark-up and copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl-C).  I selected the first line: "From Baker Street tube: turn left out of the main entrance"

3. Open a 'reply' window in the forum, press the button tagged 'toggle view' in order to turn on the wysiwyg editor, and paste (Ctrl-V) the text into the reply window:

Looks OK so far.  But,

4. Press 'preview', and we find that the text has gone bananas in the 'preview' window, in just the same sort of way that many of Comrade Z's posts have gone bananas.  There is a rogue bbcode, and the size of the text has become unreadably small:

5. Press 'post' and look at the new post.  We find that the bananas text has been posted:

So.  Bug.  No entities.

âspen

Re: Probable bug in SMF wysiwyg editor
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2016 10:04:07 AM »

By the way, just to check that the problem is probably in the SMF wysiwyg editor, and is not somewhere else such as in the mark-up in the MS Word document, let us try the same thing with different forum software, for example yuku.

Step 1: paste into a 'reply' window:

Step 2: press 'preview':

Looking fine.  Step 3: press 'post':

Still looking fine, http://forum4.yuku.com/topic/7/test

Inference:  bug is probably in SMF wysiwyg editor.

tally-ho!

• translator
Re: Probable bug in SMF wysiwyg editor
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2016 06:26:09 PM »
the very witching time of night?

i'll also test a text, which was posted alright in that yuku surprise forum4.
~~
~

(Shakespeare)
’Tis now the very witching time of night,
When churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out
Contagion to this world. Now could I drink hot blood
And do such bitter business as the bitter day
Would quake to look on. Soft, now to my mother.—
O heart, lose not thy nature, let not ever
The soul of Nero enter this firm bosom.
Let me be cruel, not unnatural.

(modern English)
This is the time of night when witches come out, when graveyards yawn open and the stench of hell seeps out. I could drink hot blood and do such terrible deeds that people would tremble even in the daylight. But I’ve got to go see my mother.—Oh, heart, don’t grow weak, like
NERO
Nero was a Roman emperor known for his extreme cruelty.
Nero Let me be cruel, but not inhuman.
אָהוֹי כַּנְטַלָהּ
בַּרִ^י(כְּ) מָנְטָלַה
טַרֻי וָצַ'קָ[ת]
רַתּוּי מֻ(מ)רַטָּ[ת]
כָּהָר מַרֲטָה
טָרִיק בָּרְבַּרֻ רָטַּטֻהִי
אֲשַּׁתֻּהִי
הוֹי!

~נהפכ נהפכ ונהפכ~