Author Topic: The blossoms are fragile  (Read 85904 times)

ju4o

• scout
Re: The blossoms are fragile
« Reply #45 on: 02 April 2014 09:56:24 PM »
Well, 'due to larger energy fluctuations' could mean lots of things,

for example it could mean that things are just literally hotter ... because of 'heated' emotions (ha!) ... molecules are jiggling around more quickly and everything happens faster so it would be natural that synchronicities could happen more frequently just by chance.

But I don't for a moment imagine that is what you meant!

However, if you meant something rather more mystical (or at least less materialistic) then, from the idea that energy fluctuations (in a subtle way) could affect the frequency of synchronicities, it's not such a big leap to the idea that they could affect the quality of synchronicities as well as their frequency.

It may be a bit sloganistic (and I'm delighted to note that 'slogan' comes from Gaelic sluagh-ghairm, 'battle cry', I just looked it up) but one might even consider that the energy fluctuations which swirl around emotionally charged situations are carriers of meaning.

Fluctuations ... waves ... carriers of information.  A synchronicity may express a quality, and a quality may be suffused with meaning.

One writer has commented about a synchronicity that

This experience confirmed my prior belief, on the basis of no evidence, that ESP was real but useless. The connection between Margaret and me had caused me needless anxiety on the bus without benefiting her.

(http://www.issc-taste.org/arc/dbo.cgi?set=expom&id=00016&ss=1 (http://www.issc-taste.org/arc/dbo.cgi?set=expom&id=00016&ss=1))

but I think that little cameo, far from being 'useless', is absolutely brimming with meaning as it expresses her situation, and that of her friend, so perfectly.

tosk

« Reply #46 on: 07 April 2014 09:31:48 AM »
Well, we may need to define what we each mean by "meaning",
and whether meaning and information are the same thing.

I'm saying something similar to:

Due to a confluence of energy and intent,
certain information is "tagged", referenced,
and reflected.

But the amount of "meaning" accorded this information
is all determined by the awareness noticing the reflecting information.

Mr X

• unpinged
« Reply #47 on: 08 April 2014 02:35:13 PM »
"Well, we may need to define what we each mean by "meaning",
and whether meaning and information are the same thing." - mr t

yes, basically my thoughts exactly, including the "we each".

the meaning of meaning has to come into it.

if energy if being used in explainations then that could do with an definition too.

mr x.

ju4o

• scout
« Reply #48 on: 23 July 2014 03:22:08 PM »
The race to revive the craft, ISEE-3, began in earnest in April. At the end of May, using the Arecibo Observatory radio telescope in Puerto Rico, the team succeeded in talking to the spacecraft, a moment Mr. Wingo described as “way cool.” This made Skycorp the first private organization to command a spacecraft outside Earth orbit, he said.

The usual method of transmitting and receiving at Arecibo is automated: software routines control switching from transmitter to receiver and back again. This process takes between six and eight seconds, depending on how nervous you want to make Dana. Motors drive a turret, a circular floor with instruments on it. Adding a new transmitter requires either manual intervention to turn the floor between transmitting and receiving, or weeks of time to add the correct commands to the control software routines. Since the ISEE-3 project required quick implementation at Arecibo, we opted for manual switching between transmitting and receiving. Thus, at least two people needed to be in the telescope dome for when we’d communicate with the spacecraft, and at least one person needed to be in the control room directing the turret to rotate. This entire ballet was complex, and orchestrated over phone lines.

...It was late afternoon and the sky was mostly clear. Blue patches were hazy with Saharan dust, blown thousands of miles across the Atlantic and keeping it from raining here. When it rains you can't go up to the platform as the risk of lightning makes the prospect of being so far up in the air dangerous. The afternoon looked clear, so we milled around the cable car building, waiting for our ride to the telescope platform.

...I spent the next 2.5 hours waiting for Dana to holler from a phone on the other side of the room, "PLUG IT IN" or "UNPLUG IT". I'd plug in the cord, jump down the ladder, twiddle down the attenuation on the power amplifier, then holler back, "PLUGGED IN, ATTENUATION Dowwnnnnn," dropping my voice on the last syllable. The other way, "UNPLUGGED, ATTENUATION UPPPPPPPPP!" to indicate I'd reduced the risk of the transmitter being fried between runs. The phone on my side of the room wasn’t working, hence the old-school communication methods.

To see the signals being transmitted to the spacecraft was great. I’d plug in the power amp, wait a few seconds, and watch the signal go from low to high. Sometimes they’d transmit long tones to the spacecraft while refining its known position. Other times they'd transmit commands to tell the spacecraft to spin faster by firing its thrusters.

...I could also tell when we were about to switch from receive to transmit: huge cable trays would start moving, and the dome would shudder as it moved almost imperceptibly. Phil had enabled "leading" to the ephemeris, the set of positions where we believe the spacecraft to be. Thus, right before we'd transmit, we'd move the dome a little ahead of where we expected the spacecraft to be; transmit; move the dome to a little behind of where the spacecraft would be; then receive. This "leading" motion mostly accounted for the orbital velocity of the Earth, not the spacecraft. And it made it a little easier to anticipate upcoming un/plugging events before Dana would holler over the phone.

ju4o

• scout
« Reply #49 on: 03 August 2014 03:00:53 PM »
We will be beginning the "ISEE-3 Interplanetary Citizen Science Mission" on 10 August 2014 as the spacecraft flies by the Moon. We have a functional space craft that can do science and is already returning new data.

This will be the first citizen-science, crowd-funded, crowd-sourced, interplanetary space science mission.

Inside mission control (tiling on the walls presumably a legacy from McDonald's):