Forum4 > Swimming for my Dad

Uber my dead body: An undertaking on overmen

<< < (2/2)

Mr G:
Just read this bit from the proverbial horse's mouth. Mr F.N. "On Truth and Lie in an Extra-Moral Sense" (1873)

--- Quote ---In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the haughtiest and most mendacious minute of "world history" - yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.

One might invent such a fable and still not have illustrated sufficiently how wretched, how shadowy and flighty, how aimless and arbitrary, the human intellect appears in nature. There have been eternities when it did not exist; and when it is done for again, nothing will have happened. For this intellect has no further mission that would lead beyond human life. It is human, rather, and only its owner and producer gives it such importance, as if the world pivoted around it. But if we could communicate with the mosquito, then we would learn that it floats through the air with the same self-importance, feeling within itself the flying center of the world. There is nothing in nature so despicable and insignificant that it cannot immediately be blown up like a bag by a slight breath of this power of knowledge; and just as every porter wants an admirer, the proudest human being, the philosopher, thinks that he sees the eyes of the universe telescopically focused from all sides on his actions and thoughts.
--- End quote ---

Yeah... Lighten the %#* up, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnlXxe4_Xd4

Mr X:
hello mr g,

at first i read that post quote. i was thinking yeah this is ok. then sublime.

many hours later it floated back into my mind. the contrast of f.n being f.n, then "hey nietzsche man, chill the frak out". an i did laugh.

there are f.n audiobooks around even on youtube. i have been trying to get through them now for many moons. agreeing with f.n is not always the best. and dont listen to f.n when at work.
http://i.imgur.com/9T1kgIr.gif

mr x.

ps. how would that quote change if he had access to future ideas such as uploading humans to computers.

Mr G:
I have a friend who's very into organic farming and that kind of stuff. If I understand him correctly, he would like for peepholes to live "closer to the earth", in little subsistence farming communities, in much lower numbers. He wants this because he believes that people are basically a disease that afflicts our beauteous petite little planetoid. There, he argues, lies the worth of the world. In nature, not poeple. Now this is certainly a point of view one may have. I like earth, 'tis my 'hood. Why would I want to kill it? I certainly don't.

But my friend further argues that humangity has nuffin' good to add, and that we should scrape by in humility and thanktitude. How he wants the majority of poeples to die voluntarifically is another matter. Said I: But friend, I figure we're still the main peanut in the packet, not so? Are we not the things with minds? The things with think?

Nein! He counters - Look ye to the noble eagle (no relation), and cower in prostration at its awesome eyesight, and its razor sharp talons, ye pinksoft personage. And I did wonder at it, its mighty eyes that spots a field mouse from a mile high, and how it rips to shreds its prey for antipasto. He had me there. My species have vulnerable soft bellies, cannot fly and can hardly see the wood for the trees... but yet they can make a telescope so powerful you can see the back of your head round the other end of the universe. Also, you know, actual razors.

I told my friend, in hope of assuaging his boundless rage against the manchine, that I hope we can lessen the burden on the planite buy spreading to other planites, like yonder Mars and such. I hoped that he would like the idea of bringingk life to a spacerock, blossoming in the dessert, a little blade of grass breaking throu the concrete. No such luck. Declared he: I'll cut off your balls before you leave the atmosphere!

Well. That sure escalated quickly. But I wondered, was his threat of castration symbolically intended? That I not spread my bad seed to the cold dead recesses of the rest of the universe? Is humangity so bad that they shouldn't even infest a rock?

Here is where I take issue. Humans are the best things ever, as far as we know. We're not perfect, sure, but we'll get there eventually. Most poeple seem to like earth, and even tolerate plants and animals. We'll find a way to live in really modern metropolisses and have nature right there in it also too.

We're not all bad, come on poeple! There's no point in hating yourselves. Why don't you pat yourself on the back for a job well half-done, and give yer wife a kiss for good luck. For verily shall we soon witness the birth of the overmenchines...

...and I hope they treat us well.

Weller than we treated them animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version